Founded since 2007 in the waters of the Ave River, the replica of the Nau Quinhentista, built by the Samuel & Filhos, Lda, Vila do Conde shipyards, is an important and precious complement to the Alfândega Régia museum nucleus – Naval Construction Museum. In addition to being an important element of tourist attraction and entertainment, it has a pedagogical function, since, built with the greatest respect for the scientific investigations under the responsibility of Admiral Rogério d’ Oliveira, it incorporates the ancestral knowledge of the carpenters and caulkers of the Vilacondense shipyards. The 16th century Portuguese ship was a round, high-board ship, with a 3:1 ratio between length and maximum width, three or four decks, stern and bow castles, with three and two decks, respectively, whose architecture integrates perfectly into the hull; it raised three masts, the big one and the forefoot with a round cloth, and the mizzen one with a Latin cloth.
Praia da Congreira Vila Chã
Praia da Congreira has a small sand where the typical awnings of this northern area are found, a bar, but one of its main features is the rocky area that seems to make a perfect division between the sand and the sea. It is a welcoming beach, with good access, with a considerable parking area.
The daPraia da Congreira has a reasonable extension of sand. It is characterized by numerous rock formations that occupy almost the entire waterline.
Museu de Vila do Conde
In 1979, at the Casa de S. Sebastião, currently Centro de Memória, an exhibition was created, with pieces temporarily loaned, enhancing the collection of the Vila do Conde Museum, namely with regard to the musealization of the Naval Construction of Wood. The first step was taken towards the creation of a museological structure in the municipality. After 29 years, and resulting from a regeneration project of the existing building and the creation of two new bodies, doubling, in this way, the initial area, the Casa de S. Sebastião opens its doors to the public, bringing together the valences in the same space. the Municipal Archives, the Municipal Archeology Office and the much-desired central nucleus of the Vila do Conde Museum. The aforementioned property, which, for a century, has been central to the culture of our county, first by the hand of the theatrologist Jorge Faria, then by the municipal intervention, which installed the old Library and part of the Municipal Archive there, continues to assume, unquestionable, a prominent place in the local, regional and national cultural panorama.
Praia da Luzimar Vila do Conde
With the aim of allowing them to be enjoyed by all, the Municipality has been creating accessibility conditions for people with disabilities. Since 2006, when it received the first Accessible Beach award, with Praia do Turismo, others have followed. The attribution of the Accessible Beach flag reflects the possibility of access for people with reduced mobility, the bar, the duly adapted toilets, the shade tents, the water line through an articulated walkway and bathing, using for this purpose the amphibious chair (tiraló), existing there and with the collaboration of personnel indicated for this purpose. Praia de Luzimar has a small sand, inserted in the urban front of Vila do Conde.
Igreja Matriz de Vila do Conde
Church of São João Batista or Igreja Matriz in Vila do Conde is located in the city and municipality of Vila do Conde, district of Porto, in Portugal. It is one of the most important monuments in the city and one of the most significant in the Manueline style in the country, featuring elements of Gothic and Renaissance architecture.
Taking advantage of D. Manuel’s passage through these lands, in 1502, when he was on his way to Compostela, the people of Azurara asked the king for permission to build a new church. The construction of the new matrix, dedicated to Santa Maria a Nova, began that same year and ended in 1522, the date of completion of the chancel’s space. The building resembles the Igreja Matriz in Vila do Conde, built at the same time.
Praia da Senhora da Guia Vila do Conde
Praia da Nossa Senhora da Guia is located north of the mouth of the river Ave, in Vila do Conde. This small beach is bordered by the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Guia and the Fort of São João. Despite its size, the beach here is quite popular, in part due to the fact that it is sheltered from the north winds.
As is common in this part of the coast, there are some rocky outcrops. At low tide, they form natural pools that are always popular with young children. For adults there is also a beach bar with a terrace that is open all year.
Praia de Nossa Senhora da Guia is located on the coast of the city of Vila do Conde, in the district of Porto, north of Portugal.
This is a beach with very cold water (around 16ºC in summer and 14ºC in winter), like most beaches in this part of Portugal. Its waters are generally calm, it has good access and free parking nearby.
Praia da Ladeira em Vila do Conde
On this beach, located in a bay, the sea is rough and the winds are strong. It is very popular for the practice of Sport Fishing. Supports and Infrastructures: Parking, Sport fishing, Rent of awnings, sunbeds, Bar, Restaurant, Showers, Restrooms, Guarded beach.
Small bay, known for its rough sea and strong winds. It is however recommended for sport fishing.
Praia do Pinhal Vila Chã
Praia do Pinhal dos Elétricos, also known as Praia Nova, belongs to the seafront of Bairro da Louça, north of Vila Chã. It has an extensive sand, delimited to the south by a rock formation near the waterline. A cozy stretch of sand, which brings together all the conditions to spend a pleasant summer day. Praia do Pinhal has beach support, typical colored canvas awnings, changing rooms and showers. Ideal for receiving families and breathing the fresh air of nature.
Casa do Barco em Vila do Conde
Casa do Barco It is the responsibility of the shipbuilding designer to plan and execute the technical project, namely to launch the risk into the room, that is, to design the forms that will mold the main parts of a vessel. The geometric plan, at full scale, is drawn on a wooden platform on the floor, using rulers and crossbow bolts. Aware of the current situation experienced in the naval wood industry sector, still so important and identity of Vila do Conde, the municipality proposed through the project “Vila do Conde – a port for the World” the submission of the inscription of Construction and Repair Techniques Naval de Madeira in the National Inventory of Intangible Cultural Heritage, with the final objective of drawing up an application to the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity (UNESCO).
Praia da Árvore
Located between the beaches of Azurara and Mindelo and in the middle of a very long sand, Praia da Árvore is located next to the access to the Camping Park and has good support infrastructure. In the southern part of the sand there is a strip of dunes about a kilometer long, a protected, wild and almost inaccessible area, classified as an Ornithological Reserve of Mindelo and sought after by several species of birds that come to nest here.
With an extensive sandy beach, this beach is surrounded by dunes. In certain areas there is no direct access, which allows for some privacy. It has a campsite next to the beach.
Igreja de Santa Maria de Azurara
The Church of Santa Maria de Azurara or Mother Church of Azurara or Church of Azurara (16th-17th centuries) is a Catholic church located in Azurara, municipality of Vila do Conde, district of Porto, Portugal; it is classified as a National Monument (Decree of 16-06-1910, DG, no. 136, of 23-06-1910).
Constituted as a parish in 1457, the village of Azurara existed since the reign of D. Afonso III, then integrating the parish of Pindelo. After the detachment of the parish of São Salvador de Canidelo, the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Presentation started to host the religious ceremonies of the new parish.
However, this temple soon proved insufficient to house the entire local population, so in 1502 the people of Azurara, taking advantage of the passage of D. Manuel through those lands when he was heading to Compostela, asked the king for permission to build a new church parochial.
The construction of the new matrix, dedicated to Santa Maria a Nova, began that same year, having probably been completed in 1522, the date of completion of the chancel space (MIRANDA, Marta, 1998, p. 80) . The resulting building is very similar to the matrix of Vila do Conde, built at the same time, although it presents a more imposing structure.
Aqueduto de Santa Clara
The Santa Clara Aqueduct extends between Terroso, in Póvoa de Varzim, and the Santa Clara Convent in Vila do Conde, in the Porto district, in Portugal. Encompassing the municipalities of Póvoa de Varzim and Vila do Conde are hundreds of arches that form part of an aqueduct that, since 1714, has allowed the Santa Clara Convent to be supplied with water from a spring located more than six kilometers away. gushed into the fountain in the convent cloister.
Its construction began in 1628, however, after a few years, the work was interrupted due to lack of funds. It should be noted that at this time the crown of Spain was burdening Portugal with high taxes and that only a few years would remain until the War of Restoration began, in which the bulk of national resources and revenues were channeled to sustain the war effort against Spain.
Praia do Moreiró
Located in a rural area, Praia de Moreiró is a place of great beauty that preserves a tranquil environment, being much sought after by families during the bathing season. The northern half of the beach, with its extensive sand, contrasts with the southern part, limited by a rocky area that poses some dangers for bathers. Nearby is the Castro de São Paio or Sampaio, a small settlement from the Iron Age dating back to 2000 BC and which is a rare example due to its location by the sea.
Alfandega Régia – Museu de Construção Naval
The Alfândega Régia building, the Naval Construction Museum, is located on Rua Cais da Alfândega, in the heart of the riverside area of Vila do Conde, where the Vila-Conde shipyards once worked. In the middle of the 15th century, the apogee of maritime trade provoked a growing movement in the kingdom’s ports, to which the port of Vila do Conde is no exception. Thus, in this context, D. João II, by letter of February 27, 1487, created the Alfândega Régia of Vila do Conde. The building underwent, throughout the 18th century, successive expansions in order to meet the needs dictated by the intense commercial traffic which then made itself felt.
Cividade de Bagunte
The small route of Ctividade de Bagunte structures a pedestrian visit in a route of great scenic and monumental quality that runs parallel to the Grande Route 11, in the space between the bridge of D. Zameiro and the bridge of S. Miguel in Arcos, passing through Ctividade de Bagunte which is the largest and oldest national monument in the municipality of Vila do Conde.
The route leaves from the medieval bridge of D. Zameiro and heads north along a small section of the old Via Veteris to Sr.ª da Ajuda square, where a small baroque chapel stands. There, the route turns eastwards and, about a kilometer later, arrives at the place where a Roman Villa once stood – Vila Verde. Discovered at the beginning of the 20th century by José Peniche and excavated by Ricardo Severo, there appeared several graves dated by the coins that appeared there between the 3rd and 5th centuries of our Era…
From Vila Verde, the route continues to the village of Figueiró de Baixo, where you can see a lime kiln preserved in Casa Peniche and learn a little about the history of Villa Fikeirola – a house of Roman origin that existed there until the Middle Ages.